[Error] Transaction Too Large

The technical support subforum.
Forum rules
Do you have trouble running Riecoin software? To integrate Riecoin software in your project? Not sure where to start for your next Riecoin project? Ask here!
Be sure to give details about your issues, and more importantly to have properly read the instructions! Do some investigation first, tell us what you have tried to do so far, show us your configuration files if applicable,...
Requests that show no effort from your side will get you a caution Image.
nummy

[Error] Transaction Too Large

Post by nummy »

Will the old address types not work at some point in the future?
I am trying to move all my coins to the new address type, but I am getting a "Transaction Too Large" error. Is there an easy way to know how small I need to make it in order for it to go through?
Pttn
Forum Staff
Forum Staff
Miner Score: 54.974

Re: [Error] Transaction Too Large

Post by Pttn »

At the protocol level, Legacy Addresses will always work, though it is always best to move funds to Bech32 Addresses.

When I check your address in the Explorer, you received 10000 payments or outputs of about 10 RIC from a pool. When you send coins, it will have to pick these outputs (which become inputs in your transaction) to form new outputs that will be spendable using the new address, so if you want to send for example 10000 RIC, it will have to take about 1000 outputs.

Each input/output makes the transaction larger, and there is a limit of 100 kB per transaction, which is reached by spending about 550 outputs (for Legacy Addresses; with Bech32 the outputs take less place and you can spend more than 1000 of them in one transaction).

Thus, with the above assumption (about 10000 outputs of 10 RIC), you should be able to send your coins by batches of 550 x 10 RIC = 5500 RIC.
Make multiple transactions of about 5500 RIC to your new addresses and you should be fine.

If you are receiving a lot of payments, you should "consolidate" your outputs once a while by sending coins to yourself (to the same address or a different one) so the many outputs become just one or two.
Riecoin developer
Stelo.xyz pool operator
nummy

Re: [Error] Transaction Too Large

Post by nummy »

I see, thanks for the explanation!