Rie miner freezes system on Windows 11

The technical support subforum.
Forum rules
Do you have trouble running Riecoin software? To integrate Riecoin software in your project? Not sure where to start for your next Riecoin project? Ask here!
Be sure to give details about your issues, and more importantly to have properly read the instructions! Do some investigation first, tell us what you have tried to do so far, show us your configuration files if applicable,...
Requests that show no effort from your side will get you a caution Image.
otava

Rie miner freezes system on Windows 11

Post by otava »

Rie miner (tested 0.92d and 0.93)
Setup - Ryzen 5 3600 / no OC, rock stable on Windows 10, AEX2 enabled.

After initialization phahe I see first mesage something like :

Started mining on block XXX, difficutly YYY and system freezes.

Event log / apps:

SCEP Certificate enrollment initialization for WORKGROUP\DESKTOP-4FFFEGU$ via https://AMD-KeyId-578c545f796951421221a ... s/Aik/scep failed:

GetCACaps
GetCACaps: Not Found
{"Message":"The authority \"amd-keyid-578c545f796951421221a4a578acdb5f682f89c8.microsoftaik.azure.net\" does not exist."}
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Sat, 06 Nov 2021 06:59:54 GMT
Content-Length: 121
Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
X-Content-Type-Options: nosniff
Strict-Transport-Security: max-age=31536000;includeSubDomains
x-ms-request-id: 6aff4d9a-9c14-41a6-af8b-e86e6e56d5f7

Method: GET(203ms)
Stage: GetCACaps
Not found (404). 0x80190194 (-2145844844 HTTP_E_STATUS_NOT_FOUND)

Thanks for quick fix ! :-)
Pttn
Forum Staff
Forum Staff
Miner Score: 80.604

Re: Rie miner freezes system on Windows 11

Post by Pttn »

Welcome here.

I don't see why there would be any issue with Windows 11. I just retested rieMiner in a Windows 11 VirtualBox and in actual hardware without any issue.

The Event is certainly unrelated to rieMiner.

Check in the Task Manager that the RAM is not maxed out, as swapping would explain a freeze.
If it is, use a lower PrimeTableLimit (by default at current Difficulties 2147483648).
Attachments
rieMiner Windows 11.png
rieMiner Windows 11.png (155.99 KiB) Viewed 2226 times
Riecoin developer
Stelo.xyz pool operator
otava

Post by otava »

Thank you !
actually I have checked RAM on PC and noticed there is only half of it. After recent upgrade one of my memory sticks was not fully pressed to its slotd, I have fixed it and now with 16 GB all works fine.

HOWEVER !
1) Not sure what system you use for swapping, but I am pretty sure other apps swap as well and they dont cause system freeze (even mouse was not moving). Can this be improved ?
2) Maybe message in UI - something like "Miner run out of RAM, starting to swap to HDD, your system performance will degrade significantly, try lowering PrimeTableLimit" would be nice.

But since your mouse and keyboard do not react due to swapping, not sure if you could shut down your miner, you would be forced to restart PC anyway, but at least you would know what is the issue.

Regards,
Petr
Pttn
Forum Staff
Forum Staff
Miner Score: 80.604

Post by Pttn »

The OS handles swapping and its behavior cannot be changed in the application itself. If the OS decides that rieMiner is the most active application then it can give it the whole RAM and swap everything else, freezing the system. rieMiner should never be ran with settings that cause swapping anyway.

Actually, in Windows 10, a Bad Alloc exception is thrown and caught when too much memory is used, then mining was prevented from starting and the message
You don't have enough available memory to run rieMiner with the current options.
Try to use the following options in the rieMiner.conf configuration file and retry:
PrimeTableLimit = ...
SieveWorkers = ...
is shown. So it was not even possible to run rieMiner in a way that would make the machine swap like crazy.
It looks like something was changed in Windows 11 so the Bad Alloc does not happen anymore, which is a shame.

The available memory could be taken in account to reduce the default PrimeTableLimit if needed in a future version, along with an improved auto tuning feature. Though this is not a priority.
Riecoin developer
Stelo.xyz pool operator