Broadcom BCM2712 (Raspberry Pi 5)

Show us your machine or share your optimal settings!
Forum rules
Anything about Riecoin mining goes here! A type of topic are threads about a CPU type. Only post your optimal parameters or show your machine in such topic and create a new one if there is no topic about your CPU, following the same scheme as the current ones. Otherwise you can also discuss about things like the profitability in general or other mining related subjects.
Different CPUs models should be discussed on the same topic if they are of the same architecture, have the same number of cores, and the same cache sizes, for example the 2700X and 3700X will have different topics, while the 3770K and the 3770 should be discussed on the same topic.
Do not talk about the mining software (suggestions, bug reports,...), go to the rieMiner's topic for this.
No technical support here as well, go to the Help subforum.
Discussions about current Riecoin mining pools must go to the Pools subforum.
Pttn
Forum Staff
Forum Staff
Riecoin Address: ric1qpttn5u8u9470za84kt4y0lzz4zllzm4pyzhuge

Broadcom BCM2712 (Raspberry Pi 5)

Post by Pttn »

Share your experience here if you mine with such ARM CPU, which is in particular used in the Raspberry Pi 5.

Just got a 8 GiB one. Compared to the Pi 4 (@1.6 GHz), I saw an improvement of about 1.8x (+80%), with 1.5x due to the clock increase from 1.6 to 2.4 GHz, and the IPC increase from A72 to A76 explains the remaining 1.2x factor. However, the Power Consumption also increases. This can be limited by undervolting the Cpu with the over_voltage_delta Option in the Config.txt. It takes an Offset in Microvolts. -0.12V (-120000) would not even boot with a Kernel Panic, but I could run a 16 minutes Benchmark with -0.11V (-110000), so a -0.1V (-100000) Offset should be stable for the long run, though this can vary depending on whether you won or lost the Silicon Lottery...
Kind of disappointing that they still use outdated technology at the time as we now have like 4 nm 8 Cores in Smartphones (the BCM2712 is 16 nm, and 14 nm exists since Intel Broadwell released in 2015)...

Code: Select all

over_voltage_delta=-100000
I saw the wattage go from about 9.5W to 8W. In comparison, the Pi 4 had a Power Consumption of about 6W when mining RIC. It is still possible to use a Passive Heatsink like the Pi 4 at 2.4 GHz, though temperatures can easily reach 70-75°C (with the Undervolt). While it is under the 85°C threshold and will not throttle, it is up to you if you are comfortable with such temperatures... You can still underclock the Cpu and undervolt further if you want, or get Active Cooling and see if it can still mine efficiently at 3 GHz or so...

Here are good settings for the current Difficulties. It should work well for the 4 GiB model too.

Code: Select all

Threads = 4
PrimeTableLimit = 2147483648
SieveWorkers = 1
SieveBits = 24
You should earn about 3.5 RIC/day at Difficulties around 960 if there are no other CPU intensive application.
Riecoin developer
Stelo.xyz pool operator